Saturday, December 6, 2008

Guided Reading Video related to high school setting

The intoduction to this video was very concise. It highlights an easy to remember pattern that should be employed befor during and after during all reading lessons. The lesson itself was very interesting. The teacher is fortunate that she has only 4 students. This is a wonderful luxury. It allows for tremendous personal attention.

I found the lesson helpful, but I had to translate it my own experience teaching 17 year olds. Though some of my students have much trouble reading, the majority are adept. I do use sp3qr technique in my class. I found that my students would either completely blow off their reading assignment, or would simply drag their eyes across 30 page handouts of dense text without observing the main ideas, conclusions etc. They treated reading assignments as torture and would avoid it altogether, or undergo it but to no real benefit. I now request them to ask frequent questions before and during the reading of the text. making predictions not only keeps the students actively involved in the reading, but it also highlights some content prejudices which they took for granted. They are now engaging with the text, challenging the content and allowing themselves to be challenged by it. The handouts are now a lively component of the class, sparking dicussion/debate.

No comments: